Young Carers Award
We are very proud to announce that Greensted Junior School has been awarded the Bronze Young Carers Award. A lot of hard work has gone into achieving this award and we are absolutely thrilled that we can offer so much additional support to our children.
Who is a Young Carer?
A young carer is someone under 18 who helps look after someone in their family, or a friend, who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol.
What Might a Young Carer Do?
- Practical tasks, such as cooking, housework and shopping.
- Physical care, such as helping someone out of bed.
- Emotional support, such as talking to someone who is distressed.
- Personal care, such as helping someone dress.
- Managing the family budget and collecting prescriptions.
- Helping to give medicine.
- Helping someone communicate.
- Looking after brothers and sisters.
Being a young carer can have a big impact on the things that are important to growing up:
- It can affect a young person’s health, social life and self-confidence.
- Many young carers struggle to juggle their education and caring which can cause pressure and stress.
- In a survey, 39% said that nobody in their school was aware of their caring role.
- 26% have been bullied at school because of their caring role.
- 1 in 20 miss school because of their caring role.
But young people can learn lots of useful skills by being a young carer.
Our Dedicated Young Carers Team
Mrs D. Rowe
Deputy Headteacher/ SENCO
Young Carers Senior Leadership Team Lead
Miss T. Fox
Young Carers Operational Lead
Our Whole School Commitment to Young Carers:
Click the icons below to find out a little more about how we support our Young Carers at Greensted Junior School:
What To Do if You Think Your Child is a Young Carer:
This is a possible list of indicators of a Young Carer.
However, many can be indicative of other issues too.
If you think your child may be a Young Carer, you can complete this letter and hand in to the School Office. The Young Carer Leads will then put your child forward for a formal assessment so you can all access further support.
Other Useful Links:
You can also contact Mrs Rowe, the Young Carer Lead at Greensted Junior School, at email@example.com